Peters Village, Kent
Peters Village is a new community, established on the East bank of Kent’s Medway river, possessing a bundle of historical interest. In the 1850’s, the land was owned by the Peters family of whom established a family run company of cement works, naming the business; “The Peters Works”. Ultimately, this is where Kent’s new community village inherited its name as know today.
In 1925 the land was used by the Army for World War 2, repairing small naval vessels and hosting training stations for Royal Engineers. Throughout the years the land was used for various industrial projects until it became a brown field site in 2006. The land was subsequently deemed ideal for housing developments by Tonbridge and Malling Borough Council.
Construction work commenced in 2014, closely monitored by the developers; Trenport Investments.The plans were to create a village community with a riverside esplanade that was visually attractive, offered new employment opportunities, education and leisure activities. A survey conducted by developers showed that the new housing would be sought after by families, with the new development attractively maintaining a strong and respectful acknowledgement to the legacy of the Peters family.
Civil engineers had to ensure that sustainable infrastructure and transport networks were a key element in the village’s £50M construction budget with more than a third of the infrastructure budget being spent on creating a new bridge over the Medway connecting to the A228. The bridge allowed easy access to both the M20 and M2 Motorways, as well as the M25 for a fast and effective London Commute. Two local train stations were also upgraded, (Snodland and Halling) allowing locals to commute on a highspeed service directly into London St Pancras Station.
Peters Village is remarkably picturesque with views across the Medway Valley, as the site promenade is raised away from the water’s edge. Trenport Investment, the developers continue to fund the scheme since the area was awarded its protection status in 2000, and being listed as an SSSI title (Site of Special Scientific Interest) by Kent Wildlife Trust. This is due to Peters Village being the home of a major UK colony of Great Crested Newts that awake from hibernation in March, with their colourful markings on display.
GreenBlue Urban were approached by SIG Geotechnical Ltd to guarantee a long term array of amenity and recreational biodiversity benefits through urban tree planting along the river’s edge. 25 trees were planted using StratCell 30 series load bearing soil support module beneath the esplanade paving, allowing inlets for both aeration and irrigation, finishing the elegant professional look with Avon design cast tree grilles and Ullswater steel tree guards.
This riverside walk is calm and attractive for locals and visitors, with the inclusion of the Green and Blue belt of infrastructure flowing parallel along the promenade.
Celebrate the sixth anniversary of this amazing development with GreenBlue Urban and the multiple benefits this tree establishment brings to both wildlife and the local community.